I was lucky enough so spend another week here this summer. I will write more about it another day but wanted to share a few pictures of this magical transformative place. It’s what just about keeps me going the rest of the year.
I’ve been struggling with eating too many of the wrong things and feeling bad about gaining weight. I found this list of advice that my therapist give me for dealing with cravings:
- Read mantas or quotes
- Think about how good it feels not to binge.
- Get outside and get some fresh air.
- Talk about it.
- Move around, change the scene.
- Read articles as a distraction.
- Do some art, make a collage.
I really need to practice distracting myself. I haven’t even remembered to try, let alone giving any of the things above a chance this week. So that’s my challenge for the next week or so.
I’d love to hear about anything that help anyone reading this post.
It’s been a few weeks since I’ve written and I need to get back in the habit. I need some encouragement right now as the last month has been a bit up and down with a lot of worrying about everything and anything. It’s exhausting. I’m struggling to eat well and have put a little weight back on – I know I can lose it again if I put my mind to it, I just seem to fail everyday and then beat myself up for being heavier, how it makes me feel and how I look in clothes.
So here are some of the things I need reminding of sometimes to stay well:
- Keeping planning treats and rewards to look forward to.
- Plan a holiday for a few months ahead – especially in the winter when it’s dark.
- Remind myself to practice being psychologically flexible – not indulging in black and white or all-or-nothing thinking.
- Practice gratitude – I’ve been keeping up my gratitude diary each day before bed but it feels harder at the moment.
- Ask myself ‘is there anything constructive I can do?’
- Challenge my thoughts – recognize them and disengage.
- Practice the opposite of how I feel e.g. if I feel rejected then give.
- Believe I will be ok – I can and am doing this.
- If things get difficult, go back to basics – healthy food, exercise, sleep, shower and work.
- Get back on it asap if I slip with my eating habits.
- Make myself do things even when I don’t feel like it e.g. exercising and socialising as eventually I will enjoy it and feel like doing it again.
- Ask ‘What does worrying give me? Is it helpful or is it more likely to lead to what I’m avoiding?’. Can I address my worry by doing something useful? If yes, then do it! If not park the worry
- Everyone’s moods fluctuate daily/weekly. It’s because my lows are lower than most that I get scared. Be in the moment, don’t engage with the fear and I might find things are ok.
- ACT – take action that’s consistent with my values and goals.