I was reading this blog post by Doctor Joel Almeida, and wanted to save it as a few things jumped out at me and reminded me of some of the work I’ve done with my therapist this year.
- If you’re in an unfortunate predicament, change it or accept it. Then go on with the rest of your life. Don’t get trapped by rumination about what’s wrong with your life.
- Know which direction you’d like to travel in life and how you can start. You don’t need to see the whole journey or worry about crossing bridges until you’re in front of them. All you need is a general sense of direction, determined by what you most value, and to know the next step in that direction.
- Exercise and take care of your physical health.
- Ask for and accept support. Do the same for others.
- Meditate and seek support from your beliefs e.g. listening to dharma talks or reading books.
- Be more active in your leisure time – it’s good to relax but too much watching TV and sitting on the sofa isn’t helpful.